Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Footprints of My Life!


The journey of life guides you through experiences in which you live and you learn; you win some and you lose some. Every step taken is essential when deciding which path you want to eventually end your journey in.

            I have taken many life changing steps in my life which have lead me to different paths. As I am about to take my next step in deciding what I want to do the for the rest of my life, I look back at the footprints I have made. They are steps which have shaped my life and if I hadn’t taken them, I wouldn’t be the person that I am today. So, here is a little piece of advice, to all the people that are reading this blog, that are moving on their next step into life: Get involved! Yes this must seem like a very broad statement, but it is the concept of life that allows an individual to be engaged with not just themselves, but the world around them too. I’ve been involved with the community my whole life, if it’s not the small food banks that my local community does, then it is to the community events that I have created for many.

Volunteerism is defined as: “the policy or practice of volunteering one's time or talents for charitable, educational, or other worthwhile activities, esp. in one's community.” This is the concept of being able to help others in any way you can. Haven’t you heard of the saying, “Give a helping hand to the people around you”? Well if you haven’t already, then here is the time to start! It not about putting your needs first, it’s about taking time out of your own life to help someone in theirs. It truly is a policy of practice; weather its holding the door open for someone, or serving soup at a homeless shelter, these are all acts of getting involved.

Personally, volunteerism has played a big part in my life ever since I was little. I was brought up in a community in which helping others was not something you had to think twice about doing; it was more of a reflex in our subconscious. Sure, I get involved with the small things, such as donating to charities, or giving my time to this up coming election. However, looking at the big picture, I am involved with even bigger organizations, for instance my youth group. This service includes many different concepts all within itself such as communication and publication. The concept of volunteerism itself is so universal that it applies to so many different aspects of the world. 

So just as I said before, every step you take in life is crucial in choosing which path you will end your journey in. As my elementary teacher once told me, “To be smart will leave you with one door to open, but being social and getting involved will leave you with the option of choosing which door you want to open.”

 Cheers... to orange juice! 

     Happy Blogging!

 

No comments: